The Centre Theater opened in 1939. For twenty years, The Centre hosted radio broadcasts, live performances, and, of course, films.
After shutting its doors, the Centre sporadically housed several types of businesses, but by the late-2000's the building lay in complete disrepair:
Photos by Ziger/Snead
In 2011, Jubilee Baltimore purchased the Centre building and formed a partnership with Johns Hopkins University, Maryland Institute College of Art, TRF, and the American Communities Trust to restore the theater to it's former splendor. In 2015, The Film Centre opened to the public.
The 18,000-square-foot space is home to the game company Sparkypants Studios, The Impact Hub, The Center for Neighborhoods, and The Baltimore Jewelry Center. The Centre is located in Baltimore's Station North Arts and Entertainment District, with MICA and JHU occupying the Centre's second floor. Their shared space includes:
- A 49-seat screening room, capable of presenting both digital video and 16mm films.
- A 600-square-foot sound recording studio that includes a smaller booth for vocal dubbing and foley mixing.
- A 2,000-square-foot cyclorama green room soundstage, which is large enough to accommodate set building and studio shooting.
- Dedicated individual high-definition editing suites, a computer room with 20 Macs, classrooms, and lounge and meeting areas.